The History of S.Y. Wilson and Company
For more than a century, S.Y. Wilson and Company has stood at the center of Arlington's commercial and social life. Founded in 1893, it is the second-oldest continuously operating business in Shelby County.
In 1912, when Samuel Wilson raised the current building, it was a general store that stocked the necessities that took costumers from cradle to grave. in 1960, the store transitioned to a hardware store.
Susan Wilson Hoggard, a fourth generation descendant of founder Samuel Young Wilson, operated S.Y. Wilson and Company Antique Market . In May of 2015, the Winstead family purchased the company and completely restored the building. The original floors, pressed-tin ceiling tiles, and beautiful mezzanine can be seen in the store today. Many of the displays in the store are made of artifacts of days gone by.